// Wills Creek, Port Price, Yorke Peninsula. In 1868 salt leases were taken up on Yorke Peninsula and one of the lessees was a Mr Wills. It is assumed the creek was named after him as the salt fields (now Cheetham Salt) are behind me beyond the mangroves and samphire. The remains of the wharf are to the right (photos will follow one day), the creek leads to the sea on the left.
In the late 1880s ketches brought in supplies and carried out wood obtained in the clearing of land for farming and then grain, wool and later salt. Grain merchants purchased town lots and erected sheds to hold grain. Local grain merchants in the early 1900s were S. Reeves, W. O’Brien, D. Fletcher, W. Ryan, F. Sanders.
Ketches trading between Price and Port Adelaide were often manned by father and son teams, Capt. Dale, Capt. Heritage, Capt. Bird and their sons, Capt. Davis and Capt. Krause. Ketches, two or more masted, included Lottie, Italy, Clementina, Mary, Hecla, Amphibious, Tickera, Lady Doris, Reliance, Moorara, Ulonga, Annie Watt and One and All. These were loaded with bagged grain or salt by means of shutes from the rail trucks down to the holds while the ketches sat on the bottom at low tide. The ketches would sail out at high
tide carrying from 70 to 170 tons. As many as 12 ketches at a time lay side by side waiting to be loaded.
Price was named after Florence Annie Price, the daughter in law of Governor Jervois. The township was proclamed3rd. of August 1882.A causeway connects the town to a tidal inlet, Wills Creek. The extensive mangroves, fish and bird life abounding in the coastal areas close to the town makes it a popular place favoured by fishermen When Price was proclaimed in 1882 a timber wharf was built and during its heyday as many as 12 ketches lay waiting to be loaded. Stumps, grain, wool and later salt were carried by the ketches to Adelaide and they would return with supplies for the township and farming community. By 1926 the wharf had reached a length of 79 metres. Regular ketches to Price included the One And All, Clementina, Mary, Annie Watt,Moorara, Ulonga, Hecla, Reliance, and Tickera.In 1911 a train line was completed from the town to Wills Creek running from the grain stacks in the main street and the salt works. Prior to the advent of the diesel locomotive grain and salt were hauled to the wharf by horses.The hotel was built in 1884 by William Endersby who later enrolled his son William as the first pupil at Price Primary School in 1885. In the early 1900’s the town had 2 stores (one housing the post office), a tinsmith, blacksmith, bootmaker,several grain agents, a butcher shop and a jailhouse.The Saltworks started in 1917 when the first salt mining lease was taken out. It utilizes an area in excess of 1300 hectares to produce domestic, commercial and industrial salt.